Yes, I quit my job
No, I'm not crazy. I'm actually quite happy about it. I haven't stopped grinning since I put in my two weeks notice. I've spent the past 3 days schmoozing former bosses, current bosses, and all the co-workers I actually worked with (except for Monday when I mostly just sloughed around nursing a wicked hangover).
I think it's really paying off. I've gotten 2 solid promises from high ranking people for future jobs and/or glowing recommendations and 3 interested parties in working for us. And heh, let me tell you, there's LOTS of "married-man-jealousy" out there. Just about every married guy I've come across has expressed how envious they are that I can just pick up and move. This is why I never bought property, incidentally.
I'm going to work for a little startup run by my brother in Seattle (he's moving to Seattle too). I'm going to have to learn to write software, but I am not afraid, not afraid a'toll! I guess it's the engineering cross to bear, I'm just not afraid to crack open a book and teach myself some random programming language. If anyone knows anything about Ruby on Rails, let me know.
I can't really give you more info than that. Not up on this blog anyway. It should be alot of fun. I'll be the Chief Engineer and also a Product Manager. Uh... as well as the entirety of the engineering force working on it. Basically it's all just me, but I like the important sounding titles.
Thanks for the concerned call RCR, but please rest assured that I am all right. In fact, I haven't felt this all right in a loooooooong time. I've been in a pretty good groove here in Chicago, but it's time for a change. I knew it was time to go when someone asked me how long I've been at Nameless Corp and I said 3 years. Then my buddy Garlic corrected me and said, no, it's been 4 years. Last year someone asked me how old I was and I said 24. Then I remembered I was 26. That was a shock to the system.
Every now and then you look up and realize the groove you thought you were in is really a rut. I'm too young and unnattached to be in ruts. So fuck it. Quit your job and move to Seattle.
I can't wait for this adventure!

5 Comments:
When are you moving? I should come out for one last blow out. Hehe.
I'm probably going to drive a truck out in mid December. You can come pretty much any weekend, but I would avoid Thanksgiving if I were you.
Alright, I'll do some scheduling. Do you think you'll still be there Dec. 10?
Huh, my comment got eaten.
Anyway, I can't say for sure yet, but according to my plan, yes I would still be here. Don't book anything yet.
Quitting my job and moving to Portland was the best decision I have ever made. Subsequent events have proven a blessing in disguise. Good luck.
Post a Comment
<< Home